Tuesday, September 21, 2010

PDFE #4/5

PDFE #4  Interview Coach Joe Nestor at Central High School in Spring Hill, Florida:
  • Why did you become a P.E teacher?    Because he enjoyed sports and competition and he wanted to be around it. It is something he's done his whole life. And so he knew a lot about P.E and sports so this makes his job less stressful.
  • What do you enjoy most about your job?  Honestly having weekends, holidays, and summers off! Also because of the hours because your done at 3 each day. Also because he loves being a mentor to students and a role model. Making a difference in someones life. But a small percent of people this actually happens to. He says the reason is because a lot of the time teachers care, but the students don't care back and don't appreciate it, so the teachers kind of feel that out and help the ones who really want help.
  • Would you suggest coaching a team, explain (like why, benfits, ect)?   He would suggest coaching only if the individual enjoys sports. He said that there really aren't any benefits to coaching at the high school level the supplement ranges from 1,400- 3,300 depending on the sport. But he says he coaches because he wants children to stay active in a health way and get involved with high school as much as they can because your only in high school once.
  • What is the least favorite part of your job?   The least favorite part of his job is when they overload his classes with more than 60 students. Also when other high schools illegally recruit athletes from your school.
  • What techniques do you use to get your students to cooperate during an activity?  Either have a free day on Friday or threaten them if they don't cooperate they will walk the track the whole class period.
  • Do you make lesson plans by yourself or with the P.E dept.?  He does lesson plans on his own.
  • While coaching high school athletes what is the best way to prepare them for the season?  In his personal opinion the best way is to hold the individual accountable for their action, be disciplined, be in shape, be knowledgeable of the sport, and to play as a team. To make sure everyone on the team understands that it is not about how well the individual does and how but how well the team plays together, as one team. Not every person for themselves. Being able to sacrifice yourself and your personal stats for a team win. And those are usually the most successful teams.  
  • Was it hard to to find a job as a P.E teacher?  It wasn't hard for him to find a job, because central hired him right after he was done interning with him. He say he understands that unfortunately it is hard to get a health and physical education teaching job. He goes on to tell me that he learned a long time ago, "It's not about what you know, rather its about who you know."
  • What classes helped you more in your career, the education classes about education or the classes about HPE, like health, anatomy, and motor development? He said that not one of those classes helped me in what he does today. Yes it helps you understand more but you don't use it in P.E. The class that helped the most was first aid because it taught him how to wrap ankle, fingers, wrist, ect.

PDFE#5  Reflection/ Response
                  Reflecting on Dr.Eplings Reinhardt College sports Studies I feel more informed about how to achieve success throughout college and to be able to obtain a career in sports. This is a great slide show to help sport's majors to create a resume. Reminding the reader through out the slide show to be more than just one-dimensional, rather to be well rounded. Having a good GPA of 3.25 or higher participate in campus organizations that involve your career interest as much as possible. Such as working with children at the Boys and Girls Club, as I did my freshman year. I also maintained a 3.6 GPA my freshman year, so I feel I'm off to a good start. I even was interning over the summer at the Boys and Girls Club in Tampa as a recreation specialist. As a sophomore I am still on the deans list and I continue to work at the Boys and Girls club. When I transfer to USF I know all the classes I have to take before my junior year and it will tame me this spring and summer of 2011 to complete. Then as a junior, I will start thinking about grad school and hopefully have an internship with my high school. The senior year I will look at grad school options. Just like the P.E teacher I interviewed I understand getting a job in the sports world is difficult. This is because a sports degree does not have one specific target.
        Also to make yourself more marketable demonstrate your skills through the experiences you will have had throughout college. Also it is important to stay on the deans list because employers look for this on resumes since our major isn't as rigorous. Also, have multiple job experience interacting with your career choice. This can be done in your free time because someone who shows they are more of a hard worker, rather than someone who sits around and plays video games will be more appealing to an employer. One of the most important thing you can do in college and after college is make close connections because its not always about what you know but its more about who you know. I've already begun to consider the reality of how my career will impact my life. I understand being in the career of teaching that the salary isn't the best but I look on the bright side of the benefits of vacations time and perks such as insurance. Pay will be low and hours long but at least I will be doing something I love. I plan on living in Florida, since I will have a teachers degree in Florida, but I will move to where there are P.E and coaching jobs and take that state test to be able to teach in a different state. I realize everything I do know will impact my future in a sports related career.  

No comments:

Post a Comment