Wednesday, November 3, 2010

PDFE #10 Constant and Varied Practice Lab

In Lab 9.2 I believe Jeff and I got the a different outcome on who should have done better. On the Retention Test I has a sum of 5 being the constant participant and Jeff got a sum of 7 for the Retention test and he was the varied participant. I believe this happened because Jeff got the feel for how to throw at different length and when he just had to throw at the 5 meters distance he was more successful because he learned different forces to throw at and focused more on the 5 meters each chance he threw. For me staying at the 5 meters the whole time got old and I am use to varied practices I feel like I focused less because I kept repeating the same thing and Jeff focused more because he had to because he had to make changes to he toss every time. When in a constant practice you do the same thing over and over again losing focus and with a varied practice you are practicing one task over and over again but with different environmental effects, so a person will be more focused due to the changes in the environment. The blocked practice I did, did exactly what it was suppose to do; it made for a good practice but when in a pressured environment my tosses didn't turn out like my practices. As with Jeff and his random practices I believe he was at a higher level because he learned more even if it was only muscle memory on how hard to throw the bean bag. I fully believe that Random practice is the best way to learn any type of skill once the student has the motor skill down and understands the process and is ready to practice at a higher level so they are ready to face different environments they will be faced with in game situations. Random practice is mainly seen in any type of scrimmage situation because like in volleyball as a team of 6 players on the court you don't know who the opposing team is going to serve the ball to first and your team mate with the first touch could make a perfect pass or shank and as a hitter this determines whether you'll get to hit or if you setter will even set you if she can make a play on the ball. If the setter does set you off a poorly passed ball the set might not be like a normal set because of the bad pass. So as a hitter you have to make adjustments and the only way you learn this is by being in this situation and learning to hit poorly set balls. Because in practice your coach isn't going to ask your setter to set poorly because she wants the setter to have an effective practice to. I best associate  Varied Practice in basketball with a jump shot, because a jump shot can be used when there is someone around you or even if their is an open shot.  So the players practice the same movements but if they never practiced with someone guarding them then they may never make a jump shot in a game with pressure on them. The player learns they have to jump higher than when they shoot a jump shot and no one is on them, but to see over the defender they will jump higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment